Tuesday 12 February 2008

Brand Power

I came across a Frubes Brand Power advert the other day and was a bit confused by it all. I'd never heard of 'Brand Power' before so I thought I'd have a bit of a potter on the internet.

Their mission statement centres on providing "rational information about grocery products to help you make an informed purchase when you're at the supermarket". Apparently they make TV ads, websites, catalogues, etc but from a "Facts and Value through information" point of view, as opposed to glorifying the product through a more traditional advertising approach. Put simply they're trying to cut through the bullsh*t that we're paid to create!!

I can kind of see where they're coming from; thinking of the consumer first, providing a useful, informative service, trying to promote honesty through neutrality, allowing the real benefits of the products to shine, and so on. But, for me, there seems to be a few real weaknesses with this.

  1. To get a Brand Power advert you have to sponsor them. Some might say pay. Paying for neutrality? Hmm...
  2. The adverts often conflict messaging used in the brand ads.
  3. Brand Power is neither a recognised industry body, nor is it seen as one by the average Jo Consumer. It lacks gravitas. That little "Brand Power" stamp in the bottom corner doesn't mean anything. Nor does the dodgy newsesque music that accompanies it.
  4. I don't believe for a minute that they'd mention a flaw or weakness in a product (i.e. Aquafresh is great for cleaning your teeth, but if you don't want stinky breath you should try Colgate).
  5. I'm not sure that they deliver on their promise - who decides that Frubes are "Fun to eat"? Fun? Because you don't need a spoon? Really?
  6. The adverts are really really bad.

Attempting to be neutral and providing an informative as opposed to a marketing service seems like a nice idea, especially in the current climate of consumer power. I just don't see this approach working and, more importantly, I don't buy it for a minute. And neither do many others by the look of it: their website invites product users to write their own reviews on the brands that they cover. Across all their brands and products they've only had 19 pieces of input so far... And how would Nescafe feel if they were paying Brand Power x amount of cash just for consumers, and presumably Brand Power as the voice of the consumer, to slate them!

In fact, albeit a little vain, I quite like being wowed by those shallow brand ads sometimes, and I'd like to think I could cut through the bulk of the crap myself. What do you mean you don't get hooked up to a jellyfish when you buy a 3 phone? If I use Lynx I won't turn into chocolate?

I reckon Adland's safe.